The BRCGS Global Standard for Packaging Materials is a leading program for the certification of packaging used in food production and consumer products, including cosmetics, toiletries, clothing, houseware and other sectors.
Certification is achieved by undertaking a third-party audit against Standard requirements by an accredited certification body (CB). BRCGS rates CBs on their technical performance and efficiency in customer service. FoodChain ID Certification is a highly rated CB providing accredited BRCGS certification globally.
The BRCGS Packaging Materials Standard provides a robust framework for all types of packaging manufacturers to assist them in the production of safe packaging materials and to manage product quality to meet customers’ requirements.
- Has two categories of requirements based on intended use of packaging: high hygiene and basic hygiene.
- Incorporates product safety and quality requirements to support legal compliance and operational efficiency.
- Is accepted globally by retailers and food/consumer product manufacturers to reduce audit fatigue in the supply chain.
- Includes manufacturers of print and chemical processes applied to food and consumer packaging.
- Offers three audit options depending upon operation’s readiness level: announced, unannounced, Global Markets program.
BRCGS Packaging Materials Issue 6 was published in August 2019.
BRCGS Packaging Materials is beneficial to a diverse range of manufacturers involved in the production, conversion, and printing of materials intended for food and consumer product packaging.
The Standard will also help you reduce waste, complaints, recalls and rejected products through a cycle of continuous improvement.
Many retailers, brand owners, raw material processors and packaging manufacturers around the world support the use of the Standard and accept it as part of their supplier approval processes.