The popularity of plant-based food has been gathering momentum and reflects a growing sense of unease amongst consumers. The BRCGS Plant-Based Standard provides certainty for industry and consumers alike, with the on-pack trademark empowering consumers to make informed choices quickly and easily.
The BRCGS Plant-Based Standard is applicable to any food company involved in the production of plant-based food – which means any product which is free of material of animal origin.
The Standard applies only to the control of animal inputs in plant-based products, in manufacture, processing and packing of:
- Processed foods, both own brand and customer branded
- Ingredients for use by food service companies, catering companies, and food manufacturers
- Pet foods (GFSI benchmarked schemes only)
- Natural health products
- Achievable – Takes a common sense, risk-based approach, providing companies with a clear path towards certification
- Appropriate -The Standard is HACCP-based and incorporates claim management systems and internationally accepted best manufacturing practices
- Brand Protection – The on-pack Plant-Based trademark will allow brands and products to differentiate themselves and empower consumers to make informed choices quickly and easily
- Cost effective – Certification reduces the need and expense of duplicate audits
- Combined audits – Plant-Based audits may be conducted as a standalone or in combination with any GFSI certification audit
Step 1: Learn
Download a copy of the BRCGS Plant-Based Standard and contact us to discuss your requirements, to learn more about the program and its benefits and to discuss the certification process
Step 2: Prepare
Download a copy of the BRCS Plant Based Checklist, this document is a great tool to support your gap analysis. We will work with you to submit your Schedule A* to BRCGS and plan your audit.
*A control and tracking document listing all plant-based products at a site that are intended to display any of the Plant Based Global Standard permitted trademarks.
Step 3: Audit
FoodChain ID will visit your site to conduct your onsite audit. The audit process emphasizes the practical implementation of the plant-based management system (PBMS). Observation of production procedures and processes, reviewing documentation, and conducting staff interviews will all take place. If any non-conformities are identified, these will be closed out within 28 days following the audit. We will review your evidence, finalise the audit report, and issue your certificate within 42 calendar days from the last date of your audit.
Step 4: Certification
Once you have achieved certification to the BRCGS Plant-Based Global Standard, you should continue to identify areas for improvement and assess the ways in which you can continue to meet the requirements of the programme
Combing Plant Based Certification with your BRCGS Food Safety audit or other GFSI recognised Food Safety audit is the most cost efficient way of achieving certification. Combining audits will typically increase your audit duration by half a day. In addition to the audit fee there is also a BRCGS Fee which will be indicated on your FoodChain ID Service Agreement.
Where it is not possible to combine your Plant Based Certification audit with your Food Safety Certification audit a standalone audit is also possible. The standalone audit duration is typically one day. The BRCGS Fee is also applicable to Standalone audits.
Please contact us if you are interested in a quote.
- Plan ahead for certification to allow enough time to get through the initial certification process.
- Sign up to one of our training courses to allow you to understand BRCGS better.
- BRCGS Participate is the most convenient and flexible way to access all the content produced by BRCGS Global Standards. It allows you to view content, download PDF’s and access Interpretation Guidelines and supporting publications online