- In choosing a GMO testing lab, it’s important to consider the following points:
- If your product requires GMO testing, does the lab offer in-depth experience in GMO testing and an understanding of the GMO regulatory landscape (which can differ by country and market)?
Customer service specialists at a more highly experienced lab will be able to offer guidance in the selection of a cost-effective GMO test plan to meet your objectives, which can help avoid costly missteps. They can also discuss any pertinent regulatory issues that may impact your business transaction and aid you in understanding your test results in light of your objectives.
Work with a lab with at least 10 years of experience in GMO testing for greatest success.
- Does the lab offer the specific GMO tests you need?
Speak with the lab for help in selection of a specific GMO test plan to meet your requirements.
- Can the lab provide GMO testing for processed and multi-ingredient samples?
Ask the lab if they optimize the DNA extraction process for different sample types, to achieve maximum sensitivity and reliability.
- Will the lab deliver accurate test results? Why is accuracy so important?
To help you determine if your lab can deliver accurate results, review the points below.
- Has the lab earned the industry’s appropriate accreditation for GMO testing?
Ask the lab if it is accredited to ISO 17025 for GMO testing. The presence of the ISO 17025 accreditation seal on the analysis report confirms that the lab is accredited for the specific tests used.
- Is ISO 17025 accreditation enough when it comes to GMO testing?
Ask the lab: For how many years have you been accredited for GMO testing? Ask specifically about accreditation for GMO testing. Accreditation for another kind of testing would not be relevant.
- Has the lab earned “flexible scope of accreditation” for GMO testing?
Ask if the lab has flexible scope of accreditation for GMO testing (the majority of labs do not). If it does, then you’re dealing with a top lab in the field.
Recap: What are the top concerns in choosing a GMO testing lab?
- Accurate test results. The signs of a technically competent GMO testing lab include ISO 17025 accreditation, optimized methods for processed and multi-ingredient samples, and many years’ experience in GMO testing.
- Customer service. Specialists at an experienced GMO testing lab can put that experience to work for you: listening to understand your testing needs, helping you select a cost-effective GMO test plan to meet your objectives, and reviewing test results in light of those objectives.
Nancy Musgrave is a senior technical advisor at Genetic ID. Since 2004, Nancy has enjoyed working with hundreds of customers at every stage of the food chain to help them meet their GMO testing objectives. Genetic ID specializes in GMO testing, and is accredited to ISO 17025 for GMO testing of food, feed, and agricultural products. www.genetic-id.com